Quote

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." -Ernest Hemingway

Friday, February 20, 2015

Obligatory first post post

I'm creating this blog in an attempt to make good on one of my New Year's resolutions, and that is to write more. For the past two years, my dedication to my own writing has fallen by the wayside. A couple of years ago, I was hired to work as a sports reporter for a small-town community newspaper. A lot of cold nights and cold dinners left me with little desire to write in the evenings, after filing my late-night stories/website updates. I don't even remember when my last journal entry was. 

Now, for the past year or so I have been teaching and tutoring writing (English) at a local community college. While I find that much more fulfilling than my pervious position as a sports reporter (heck, I didn't like sports), I haven't found much time to write. But, that doesn't mean that I didn't have time to write. It just means that I have made a lot of really good excuses for not writing:  read that as procrastination. That's not something I'm proud of, but it is the truth. 

The better part of the past two years I've spent vegging out online - reading blogs, instead of creating. Why? Well, for starters, it's way easier to absorb and digest, than to think and create. And, that's where I've pretty much been stuck...for two years. 

Sure, I had I few starts and stops on some blogs in the past several months, but for the most part those have tended to be more on the stop side of the spectrum. It's not something I'm proud of, but I'm being frank here. 

At this point, I'm not sure what exactly this blog will be, but I'm envisioning it as some kind of catch all for my wayward and passing thoughts through the week. I have really awesome ideas for my writing, teaching, etc. through the week that fade in and out of my consciousness without ever making it into the world of reality that we all share. This blog is going to challenge me to at least catch some of those ideas to make use of at a later date. I don't consider myself to be a terribly creative person, but I think everyone is blessed with some creativity in one way or another. What we do with that creativity is up to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment